010: “Why Men in Your City Purchase Sex” with Teresa Downing-Matibag (Iowa State University)
Welcome to the IN PLAIN SIGHT Podcast, a podcast to end human trafficking. Each week, we hear from a leader who will inspire you and educate you in your work to end human trafficking around the globe. Be sure to subscribe so you don’t miss a single episode.
WHERE TO SUBSCRIBE
While you can always find the latest episodes on this page, we highly recommend subscribing on Stitcher (Android or iPhone) or on the Podcast app for your iPhone, or in iTunes. (Search “In Plain Sight” on Stitcher or the iTunes Podcast app, and you’ll find the show.)
Teresa Downing-Matibag (Iowa State University)
Teresa Downing-Matibag is the Executive Director of the Network Against Human Trafficking (NAHT), a statewide coalition of Iowa’s leading anti-trafficking organizations, and a lecturer of sociology at Iowa State University. Her research examines intimate and sexual relationships in young adulthood, including the exploitation of young women through the sex trade and Internet bride industries in our global society. Her work has been published in journals such as the Social Psychological Quarterly, the Journal of Family Issues, Qualitative Health Research, and the Psychology of Men & Masculinity.
As you listen, you’ll have the opportunity to learn:
- Ways in which law enforcement and non-profits seek to reduce demand.
- Why a man purchases sex for the first time.
- What parents can do to prevent our boys from becoming the next generation of buyers.
Iowa Network Against Human Trafficking
ISU – Teresa Downing-Matibag
Ordinary or Peculiar Men? Comparing the Customers of Prostitutes With a Nationally Representative Sample of Men
Percentage of Men (by Country) Who Paid for Sex at Least Once: The Johns Chart
LEAVE AN AMAZON REVIEW
IN PLAIN SIGHT: Hymns of Hope and Freedom – Digital Music Album
IN PLAIN SIGHT: Stories of Hope and Freedom – DVD
IN PLAIN SIGHT: 31 Day Devotional & Study Guide
Start Something to End Trafficking
Heroes of Hope
LEAVE A REVIEW ON ITUNES
1. Go to our iTunes preview page.
2. Click on “View in iTunes” on the left side of the page.
3. As you’re looking at our page in iTunes, click on “Ratings and Reviews”.
4. Feel free to leave a review. If you leave a five-star review, we’ll be sure to thank you by name on an upcoming podcast.